i’m excited. november started, a huge test is finished, the next two weeks will keep me sufficiently busy but not crazy, and then thanksgiving break is going to rule. for three main reasons.
1. the wednesday before thanksgiving week, savion glover is performing at hancher auditorium at my university. most people probably wouldn’t know savion glover by his name, but if you are anywhere near my age and grew up watching sesame street(one two three four five, six seven eight nine ten, eleven twelve-elve-elve-elve-elve-elve!)(pinball machine cartoon), savion was the black guy with dreds who tap danced all the time.
how could you not love this guy?
he will be performing with a live band, so…a killer tap dancer and a live band at hancher? it’s gonna be a fantastic show. what makes it even better is that i have a midterm directly before the show so the show is like a huge treat. and my girlfriend is coming down for it so…how could it be better? if savion invited me on stage to dance with him? yes that would make it better. but that’s the only way.
2. as i mentioned before, colleen is coming down for savion’s show and then she and i are driving back to uni that night. i’m skipping the last two days of class that week and extending my break to eleven days. unbelieveable. the first five/six days will be spent at uni with friends, getting a feel for my new university. i’m psyched.
3. for actual thanksgiving, i’ll be probably in kansas city. which is cool. i’m not ecstatic about going home, but it will be really nice to see my sisters again. thanksgiving day will rule. lots of food. lots of lazing around. post-thanksgiving cold turkey sandwiches are awesome.
so november is bringing good things. and i want you to know about these:
find this movie playing somewhere and watch it.
1. half nelson. i just saw it tonight and really liked it. still digesting it so i’m not even gonna say too much. other than ryan gosling is a phenomenal actor. saw it at iowa’s indie theater, the bijou, which is a sweet place. one of the few things i’ll really miss when i’m at uni. check this out, they are having a FREE pre-release showing of the tenacious d movie coming out, how sweet is that? i’m going.
“if you want to see the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.”
2. ricky gervais. funniest man on television? possibly. star of the office, which was originally a bbc show before it became popular here in america. and if you like the steve carell version on nbc, it’s a hundred times funnier with this dude. and his new show on hbo, extras, is unbelieveably funny as well. i can’t really communicate how much this guy makes me laugh through a facebook note so…just watch him if you ever get a chance.
i’m done. i’ve got lots of other stuff i’d love to tell you about but it’s late. so happy november. i hope you’ll enjoy it as much as i will. and i really need to figure out how to communicate ideas in some other way than a numbered list. that is so trite. and i’d like to know how to make my photos bigger. adam? anybody?jon
p.s. i really hope somebody understood my pinball machine cartoon reference. if you did will you let me know? i have never, in my entire life, met anyone who knew what that meant other than my older sister hannah. so if you know what that is, tell me. i’ll probably freak out.
thoughts from 2009 jon:
a. i wrote this on november 3, 2006.
b. savion glover is an INCREDIBLE dancer. that show was one of the coolest live performances i’ve ever seen.
c. half nelson is still a great movie. watch it if you haven’t.
d. i’m going to write more in depth about ricky gervais’ brilliance sometime in the future.
e. i needed to ease up on the list format. i used TWO numbered lists in this one post. confusing
f. the pinball sketch. number 11: